Have you ever felt like you don’t fit in? I definitely have. I just wanted to share this thought with you today Let me know if you can relate? It’s important to know that we are not alone in our own thoughts and stand together and encourage one another.
Fitting in is such an interesting concept to me. We all know what fitting in means right? You see to me fitting in doesn’t even really exist and hear me out here haha take a moment to listen to my crazy theory.
Fitting in ( in a friendship circle, in school, amongst work colleges ……. ) usually always refers to us looking at other people and saying that they fit in so well, I know I have thought that many times. I would look at a group of people that I don’t feel like I fit in and say to myself “ah man they all just get along so well and fit in with each other” but have I actually gone up to one of them to ask if they feel they truly fit in? I might actually be surprised at the answer.
Not fitting in most of the time is referred to ourselves. Have you ever heard yourself say:
- I don’t fit in
- they just don’t get me
- no one takes the time to get to know who I really am
- is there something wrong with me?
- how do I become more liked?
- is who I am going to ever going to be good enough?
You see my theory is that I think that most people think that they don’t fit in somewhere, and if we each just took the time to get out of our own bubble of self-pity and just got to know peoples stories we would be quicker to realize that “fitting in” isn’t the problem here, it’s us as humans not being content with our lives and not happy with what we have been given.
Why not instead of trying so hard to fit in, let’s make a promise to ourselves that we are going to make it a priority to:
- love others more instead of competing with them in our minds.
- encourage others when you feel out because they are probably feeling the same way you are.
- If you feel like you don’t have friends, counteract your thoughts and be a friend to somebody.
- stop trying to be what you think others want you to be and just be who God has called you to be, there is nothing more beautiful than somebody comfortable in their own skin.
Life isn’t about trying to fit your square peg into a round hole, it’s about walking around proudly with your square peg and owning it. Soon you will realize that fitting in will be less and less important to you and you will be asking yourself how can I stand out today so that I can actually make a difference in someone’s life. Maybe somebody needs what you bring to the table but it’s happened naturally because you are comfortable just being you.
Photography: Gidion Felix
Jeans: Levi’s 501 Skinny fit
Top: Levi’s Tee
Dusty pink Pullover: Levi’s