It’s been 21 years and I believe the best is yet to come! It’s been quite a journey so I thought I’d share some tips and things I’ve learned throughout my 21 years of existence. Some serious, some light-hearted and some things I have on my heart.
1. Always look after yourself. It is a sign of self-respect. You never know who you might meet or walk into (Future husband? Ryan Gosling might be on holiday in South Africa, you never know. Be prepared…)
2. Wear sunscreen every day. Even in winter the sun can damage your skin. Wearing sunscreen prevents premature aging and enhances the health of the skin.
3. Don’t procrastinate. Use your time wisely. You don’t want to look back and think of all the things you could have done if you were focused.
4. Fill your petrol tank up, ALWAYS. Otherwise you will use that money for coffee or things you don’t really need and at the end of the month you are stranded at home with no money to fill your car.
5. Colour your world with love. Why not spread kindness like its confetti?
6. Don’t live to please people. Set boundaries and don’t let people walk over you. Especially if you are a nice person. You will drain yourself if you live to receive the approval of people.
7. Never underestimate the importance of at least one cup of coffee a day. It’s been proven that coffee drinkers live longer.
8. Encourage where you can, love where you can, smile where you can and compliment where you can. You never know what your encouragement, love, smile or compliment can mean to someone.
9. Make sure you watch the sunset at least once a day. It has a way of giving you a perspective check.
10. Never judge the behavior of anyone. You never know the reason behind their behavior. Timeless situations I’ve found myself thinking “why?” and then hear a heart breaking story of a broken past that explains everything. Just love on them.
11. YOLO- You might think really? But it’s so true, let that sink in. You Only Live Once. What are you going to do today to make it count? Make the most of each moment and try and get out of your comfort zone by trying something new every day or challenging yourself daily.12. When in doubt, buy that ice cream. You can never go wrong with ice cream.
13. Road tripping and discovering new places should happen at least once a month. The world, especially our country is too beautiful to take for granted or to miss out on. Fill your car with people, split the petrol and take a drive out with some good music, sunglasses and beautiful scenery.
14. You don’t have to know someone to understand someone. Understanding someone is far deeper than having knowledge about them. Being able to offer a listening ear means so much in a world where most people have a very selfish outlook and is “me, me, me” orientated.
15. It’s good to have 3 types of people in your life. The first is someone you can look up to, learn from and see as a role model or leader in your life. The second is a friend that does life with you, who you have fun with and who you can relate to. The third is the people who you are leading, who you are building up and encouraging to become all they have been called to.
16. Make an effort to go to the aquarium. It’s difficult to find something as mesmerizing as the jellyfish room and the way a jellyfish swims.
17. If you never set any goals in your life, you’ll never know when you’ve reached your goals and you’ll just keep on drifting without a plan of action or vision for your life. SET GOALS!
18. It is proven that people who exercise have a more positive outlook on life and live longer. “I don’t have time” is not an excuse. Take a 5-minute walk around the block. The fresh air will do you good. Make time and prioritize your health.
19. Look at the life of a child and learn from them. They teach you about thankfulness, awe & wonder towards every small little thing, excitement, joy and many more things. Children are inspiring little miracles.60% of people can’t have a 10-minute conversation without lying. Let’s change this statistic and be the honest, real and genuine generation.
20. 60% of people can’t have a 10-minute conversation without lying. Let’s change this statistic and be the honest, real and genuine generation.
21. The one thing that nobody else has is you. Your voice, your mind, your story, your vision. Write, sing, play, dance and live as only you can.