Growing up can be hard sometimes. Growing up as a girl can be even tougher. Over the span of my life and sadly having many friendships fail, I feel like I have some insight into knowing how to choose the right friends. The friends that will take you forward in life, the friends that will cheer you on, the friends that you can do life with and not just for a short season.
1. Surround yourself with friends who will tell you the truth in love, even when it might be hard to hear. If your friends are not growing you or challenging you then you need to find friends that can.
2. Surround yourself with friends who care more about Gods opinion than your opinion. A friend that is willing to listen to the holy spirit above anything else is a keeper.
3. Surround yourself with friends who are willing to have those deep conversations with you. Yes, there is a time for fun and laughter and just talking no sense but there are also times when we need to dig deep. Do your friends care enough to go deeper with you when life is not going too peachy?
4. Surround yourself with friends that are inclusive. Girls can be clicky and without even realising it, you have a girl click. Other girls feel intimidated to come and talk to you. Are your friends like that?
5. Surround yourself with friends who have a vision for their own lives. If they see a purpose to their life, they will not let you give up when you want to because they see the potential on your life and that God as a purpose for you.
6. Surround yourself with friends who speak positively and don’t speak about others behind their backs. This can be the biggest killer of a friendship. If they are talking about someone else then what is to stop them from talking about you behind your back?
7. Surround yourself with friends who know that their identity is in Christ and not in others around them or believe what the media says girls should be.
8. Surround yourself with friends who don’t take you away from what you believe in most, like God, church and youth even spending time with your family. If your friends can’t support you in what you believe in then it will be a struggle of trying to please them and God. You can not do both!
9. Surround yourself with friends who are not selfish and are not obsessed with themselves that every time you ask them how they are they have to give you a 20 minute rundown of their day.
10. Surround yourself with friends that want to see you grow and flourish into being all that God has called you to be.
and last but definitely not least make sure that you are this kind of friend to others. Before you can find these friends you need to be that friend first!